Welcome to Marxent’s Augmented Reality resource guide. If you’re in the process of learning more about top Augmented Reality apps, technologies and terminology, you’ve come to the right place. For a rundown of the biggest developments in Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality from the past 12 months, check out our 2016 roundup, Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality – The Year In Review. For a look ahead, check out the 5 top Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality technology trends for 2017. And for more information on how retailers are using mixed commerce solutions, check out our Mixed Commerce Glossary, which defines the terminology being used by businesses to describe the changes currently sweeping retail.
What is Augmented Reality?
Augmented Reality (AR) is the projection or addition of a layer of digital content into a real environment. AR has been commonly tied to image recognition or geolocation in the past, and was similar in nature to QR codes, using an image rather than a black and white code to launch content or an experience. There has recently been a shift away from QR code-like experiences and toward more sophisticated experiences that use advanced 3D animations, markerless experiences (no image required) and create unique experiences that expand learning opportunities and engagement for end users.
Augmented Reality trends
Get the latest on emerging trends and perspectives on Augmented Reality, with a focus on Augmented Reality apps, technologies and trends for retail, advertising, marketing and sales.
- 5 top Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality technology trends for 2017
- 2016: The Year in Review – Augmented Reality & Virtual Reality News and Trends
- 5 top Virtual Reality & Augmented Reality technology trends for 2016
- 5 top Virtual Reality & Augmented Reality trends for 2015
Augmented Reality case studies
We’ve been developing Augmented Reality apps for several years and have collected these case studies along the way. In every case, Augmented Reality creates opportunities for conversations and transforms me-too marketing for live events into fun, share-worthy experiences.
- Moosejaw X-Ray app – AR retail catalog case study
- Southern California Edison– AR education app and live event case study
- Forshaw – AR trade show case study
- Baxter – AR trade show booth case study
Augmented Reality marketing ideas
Check out some examples of how enterprise companies, startups and retailers are using AR to enhance their message.
- Sandisk partnered with Marxent for a one of a kind duo of Augmented Reality and gesture recognition.
- instaMOTION put a super sweet spin on Valentine’s cards with Augmented Reality games for kids.
- Custom Ink and NewVoiceMedia uniquely pair Augmented Reality with t-shirts.
Dig deeper on Augmented Reality
Interested in additional resources? Here are a couple of tech events, AR groups and blogs that will keep you on the bleeding edge of AR.