Welcome to the first post in our “Employee Q&A” series where we interview an employee to reflect on their career and experiences at 3D Cloud™ by Marxent.
This week, I am introducing you to Jordan Schmuckler, Team Lead Developer at 3D Cloud. Let’s hear what he had to say about his journey with 3D Cloud:
Jordan, how did you find out about 3D Cloud?
- I was living in Virginia and I found out about 3D Cloud through job searching on LinkedIn back when Marxent was a much smaller company.
What is your role at the company now?
- My role now is the Team Lead Developer for the home and office vertical.
What does your role consist of?
- My role consists of taking all of our home and office projects and making sure the entire team has what they need to work. I work on half development and half management. In the development portion, I am always working on really cool mobile elements, specifically with our room scanning, WebAR, eCommerce, and augmented reality applications.
How did you get started in development?
- I always knew I wanted to work in computers since I was a kid. My first development environment was writing HTML in Notepad on my parent’s computer. I took many courses in high school and then went on to college at Christopher Newport for Computer Engineering. I first discovered augmented reality when watching a presentation from a company using it to augment work on Aircraft Carriers. I enjoyed the concept so much that the note by Marxent on my spreadsheet of job applications simply read “They do AR, that’s so cool!”.
What has been your favorite part about working in your role?
- I’ve actually worked a lot of roles here at 3D Cloud. I’ve had at least 6 or 7 jobs within the company. My favorite thing I’ve done here was the time I spent building our content management system because we didn’t have limitations in terms of how we were going to accomplish things. Every day was constantly a new challenge. That’s the great thing about being a developer and getting problems handed to you. It’s about scale. You get really good at doing something once. As a developer, being able to automate it, learn, and then teach the rest of the company how we’re going to do it 100,000 times is really cool.
What is your least favorite part of the role?
- Mistakes can happen. They make us human. The thing about working at 3D Cloud is I don’t see anyone dodging accountability. There’s a lot more, “I screwed up” and how can we can fix it so it doesn’t happen next time.
For someone that wants to work on your team, what should they know or get familiar with?
- The number one thing is learning to code. Just start it, even if you fail at it.
What is the culture like on your direct team?
- We like to meet online for fun activities but most of the time it’s to talk about things we are going through in terms of development and what we learned. The goal for us is that we are always rowing in the same direction and lighten the load for each other emotionally and in terms of information.
What are some of your biggest accomplishments?
- I developed our Room Scanner and our 1.0 task system for creating 3D content. I also developed many of the fundamentals of our data and 3D CMS tools.
What is the unique part of working at 3D Cloud?
- Something I talk about a lot is our culture, especially around development. The two teams that make a daily difference for developers are the project managers and quality assurance analysts. These teams are very tightly integrated with us. We have the sole goal of making good software. We want software that is tight with strict development processes around it. It’s important that those teams work side by side with each other and we do that really well here.
Thank you, Jordan, for taking the time to speak with me. You have done amazing work for the company and continue to do so.
If you are interested in working in development at 3D Cloud™ by Marxent, please visit our job listings.