— UPDATED – April 30, 2014–
The USPS Augmented Reality direct mail promotion has been renewed for August/September 2014. Most Augmented Reality applications require 6-8 weeks to go from concept to launch and August is around the corner. In order to take advantage of this USPS promotion you’ll want to get started soon.
Here are the basic details of the USPS Augmented Reality direct mail postage promotion:
- Registration Period: June 15 through September 30, 2014
- Program Period: August 1 through September 30, 2014
- Discount Amount: 2 percent off eligible postage
- Eligible Mail: Standard Mail® letters and flats and Nonprofit Standard Mail letters and flats
If you’re curious about what it takes to put an AR campaign together for direct mail, give us a call at 727-851-9522 or email us and we’ll walk you through the process.
USPS Augmented Reality resources
- Emerging Technology Promotion page on USPS.com
- Augmented Reality videos and AR examples on MarxentLabs.com
- Augmented Reality marketing trends
— About the 2013 Augmented Reality USPS direct mail postage discount—
Earlier this year, the United States Postal Service (USPS) revealed a new Augmented Reality app for direct mail at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES). Scheduled to launch at the end of 2013, the U.S. Postal Service app will help direct marketers bring their mail to life with simple but engaging AR promotions, according to VentureBeat.
The better news? If you send an Augmented Reality enhanced direct mail promotional campaign between August 1, 2013 and September 30, 2013 you can take advantage of special postage discounts. It’s true! Retailers and marketers can save 2% on postage when they use Augmented Reality campaigns to enhance their direct mail print content.
How to get the USPS Augmented Reality postage discount
The United States Postal Service promotion for direct mail pieces featuring Augmented Reality markers is designed to promote awareness of how innovative technology, such as Near-Field Communication and Augmented Reality can be integrated with a direct mail strategy to enhance the value of direct mail. To take advantage of this limited-time postage discount, your mailpiece must meet the requirements for at least one of these scenarios:
- Near-Field Communication (NFC): The physical mail piece must contain a NFC “smart tag” or RFID chip that allows information to be transmitted from a printed mail piece to a mobile device.
- Augmented Reality: The physical mail piece must contain print that allows the user to engage in a Mobile Augmented Reality experience that combines print content with virtual content, is interactive in real time and is registered in 3-D.
- Mobile Authentication: The physical mail piece must integrate the attributes of physical mail and the user must be able to complete authentication processes for customers, potential customers, and/or mail recipients that meet their needs.
Augmented Reality direct mail postage discount program parameters
The USPS is encouraging direct marketers to experiment with Augmented Reality to enhance direct mail campaigns that drive recipient engagement and direct results. Here are the parameters that a campaign must meet in order to qualify for the postage discount.
Registration Period: June 15 through September 30, 2013
Program Period: August 1 through September 30, 2013
Discount Amount: : 2% of eligible postage. The Emerging Technologies Promotion discount is calculated in PostalOne!® and applied to the mailing statement at the time of mailing. Normal postage prices as listed in the published price schedule apply to the mailing, and the discount is applied to those prices. If multiple emerging technologies are used on the same mail piece, this discount is only applied once.
Eligible Mail Classes: Standard Mail® letters and flats; Non-profit Standard Mail letters and flats; First-Class Mail® resort and automation letters, cards and flats.
Quantity: There is no limit on the number of pieces that can claim the discount, nor is there a limit on the number of mailings a participant can present during the promotion period.