The Marxent @ Work series is near and dear to our hearts. Created back when the employee count was still in the single digits, Marxent @ Work provided a valuable platform for CEO Beck Besecker and other early staffers to define our corporate culture — a task that continues to this day. The series is built on the belief that we can all learn from each other, and there is real value in being able to peek into the brains of your managers and coworkers.
Here are some of our favorites, broken down by category:
Advice for career hunters
Marxent regularly interviews talented people for open positions, and a major part of the conversation ultimately comes down to fit — is the applicant a good fit for Marxent, and is Marxent a good fit for the applicant? The Marxent @ Work series is a great place for job applicants to get a feel for what working at Marxent will really be like, helping them decide if a career at Marxent is something they want to pursue.
- How I became a Unity 3D and Augmented Reality developer
- Startups vs. big companies: Size matters when choosing where to work
- Want to find your dream job? Start with the right education
- You do you: 4 ways to ease the transition into a high-tech career
- Will you fit in at Marxent? Not if you need to be micromanaged
- Want a mobile developer job? 5 tips on how to interview
- Discipline surfing: How I became a Unity 3D Augmented Reality developer
Thought Leadership from the CEO
Wouldn’t you like to peek inside the mind of your boss, getting to know how they think and what they expect before you set foot in the office? Marxent @ Work makes this possible, with CEO Beck Besecker providing many of the best and most-revealing posts in the series.
- This is the story of how I tamed a giant octopus
- Why I love bad news
- Work culture: Feedback is love. Worry when it stops
- We’re hiring: Why your favorite superhero matters
- Make mistakes. You might learn something
- Where’s your to-do list? 8 ways to build trust and confidence at work
- What’s your 90-day plan?
- “That’s a stupid idea, boss”
- Get your s*@! together: What’s your personal process?
- How your boss knows you have your s*@! together
- Success is only real when shared
- Work Culture: Empty Offices
Did we mention he hates meetings?
- Long meetings are the pits. Here’s how we avoid them
- Ask more, talk less: Get more out of meetings by leading with questions
- News flash: Meetings aren’t over when they’re over; Use these 3 tips to get more out of meetings
On The Job Training
Taking on a new job is intimidating. There’s always more to learn, and the fear of making a mistake — and by extension looking silly in front of a new group of coworkers — can be paralyzing. One thing the Marxent @ Work series does spectacularly well is provide a window into the daily lives of staffers across disciplines and at all different leadership levels.
- Jargon matters: Don’t let words overwhelm meaning
- Who wants to go to a meeting? No one!
- How to be a quality assurance analyst without being an a**hole
- Cooking with code: Making fudge (I mean delicious software!) at Marxent
- I’m perfect! Only, I’m not: 4 things I’ve learned from teamwork
- Realism and lighting: 5 methods for bringing Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality to life
- How to plan a Virtual Reality marketing project
- 5 things I’ve learned while traveling for work
- Challenge yourself, even if it means crying and swearing
- Designing with clients: 7 tips for successful iteration
- Creatives unite! It’s cool being the artist in the office
- How we stay on top of emerging technologies
- Why we love rapid prototyping for Virtual Reality apps
- How to make Virtual Reality amazing with Unity 3D
Finally, some Marxent @ Work entries are more focused on revealing who we are as opposed to what we do. On the surface, the below posts are about sci-fi movies, or Dungeons & Dragons, or Marxent’s similarity (or lack thereof) to the movie Office Space. But dig in and you’ll find these posts are really about heart. These posts cover the things we’re passionate about and love — and that includes our coworkers. Ultimately, Marxent is as much a big family as it is a software company, and Marxent @ Work is our family album. We hope you enjoy our selfies.
- 10 sci-fi moments to fall in love with
- Thank you. We mean it
- California to Dayton: Best move ever?
- Play is the new work: 5 things Dungeons & Dragons taught me about working at a startup
- Working in the anti-“Office Space”
- “Don’t move to Dayton, Ohio if…” – Our top 6 reasons to steer clear of Dayton
- At work, love is all you need
- Come join our [work] family. I mean it.
For even more on Marxent’s workplace culture, check out the How We Got Here video series, which presents interviews with Marxent staffers discussing the twisty paths they took to arrive at this point in their careers.